PCCA’s experienced, Certified Housing Counselors provide one-on-one pre-purchase counseling, which gives you an overview of the home-buying process. We review your credit and perform mortgage affordability analysis to help you determine how much you can afford to pay for your home. We also give you tips on shopping for the best mortgage rates and how to avoid scams and predatory lenders. Upon successful completion of this session you will be given a HUD Certificate of Completion and a PHFA Certificate of Completion, which verifies that you have received basic first time homebuyer education and that you meet the required criteria to continue the next steps in the process.
Some of the other topics covered during your confidential appointment include the following:
- How to prepare a workable household budget
- Balancing savings and spending habits to reach your goals
- Tips for managing your money as a prospective homeowner
- Basic lending guidelines for obtaining a home purchase mortgage loan
- How to get a mortgage pre-approval
- Tips on how to repair your credit
- Understand consumer rights and protections
If you are a PHA resident and are interested in registering for the next class please call PCCA at 215-567-7803 to review eligibility requirements or contact your PHA Self-Sufficiency Coordinator.